Wednesday, March 28, 2007

pure joy



Remember when you were a kid? Remember that feeling of learning to ride a bike? My first bike was purple with a banana seat. I remember my dad running beside me while I made my first attempt on two wheels only. Remember after you got your balance, rode away solo, and felt the slightly springy tires on the pavement without the clattering of training wheels? Remember the realization that you could actually go somewhere on your bike? You could meet a friend at the park, go down to the corner store for an ice cream, or just cruise. Remember the first time you went faster than you thought safe? Remember how it made you feel? Remember the first time you crashed? Remember how the trees smell when spring finally arrives?

Remember all these things next time training seems like a drag, or the weather isn't just how you like it, or you are thinking maybe you should just hang it up for a while.

John

1 comment: